Friday, January 7, 2011

Smart Phone... Smart Faith

Check "like" - below - to share on facebook! 
Let me introduce you to my new friend. Yes, just when I had finally figured out how to use my BlackBerry, along comes the Android LG.

It helps, of course, that my long-suffering "pearl" had been bounced off the concrete any number of times, and that Verizon has sent me five "upgrade for free" notices in the mail over the past six months ago. The real problem was time, but yesterday I bit the bullet and was pleasantly surprised to get out of the phone store in less than 30 minutes.

I'm already sold on the new smartphone. Everything is much simpler than my old phone - other than the stuff I don't even begin to understand (and that amounts to around 90% of the device's capabilities). But the screen is big, the colors bright, the lettering bold, the optics crisp and the interface very stable. It pretty-well matches my fifty-something vision challenges. To be honest, my LG kind of reminds me of that ridiculous "JITTERBUG" cellphone with big numbers and simple function keys that they used to market to old folk!

The big Question, of course, is the same one I started asking myself a few years ago when I finally realized the extent of what God has entrusted me with in terms of my gifts and opportunities. Here it is: "So what am I going to do with my LG?" I really wasn't kidding when I said I only understand 10% of the functions.

So here's my plan. I'm going to add one level of functionality each week. Not stupid stuff, like playing Tetris instead of writing my new book. But applications that enhance the quality of my life and the effectiveness of my professional reach in the virtual world. Today I'm going to get my Google Calendar up and running - no more Outlook Express.

My functional faith insight in all of this is a renewed awareness of the amazing resources the Creator has placed at my disposal. I'm thinking about powerful principles such as Christ's promise to be with me, always, and the idea that the Spirit of truth will lead me into all truth....

It occurs to me that if I make the commitment to add one level of spiritual functionality each week then 2011 is going to be one amazing year!
  • But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come (John 16:13)
Something to think about for all of us - DEREK

No comments: