Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Re-creation - New Every Morning!


Early morning at Buckhorn Springs Golf Club
NEW EVERY MORNING:There are many good reasons to get up early in the morning:
  • I start my day at peace, in the unhurried presence of the timelessness of God
  • I get to walk a couple of miles with Scout Labradoodle, and to be encouraged by her positive, life-loving frame of being.
  • I enjoy watching the grass come in from the renovations on the golf course.
  • I can bring Rebekah a fresh cup of coffee in bed, and welcome her into the new day.
(photo by Naomi Campbell)
LIFE-CHARGED BABY: Yesterday evening, just as we were settling down for the night, our daughter Naomi posted some photographs from her family’s beach vacation. I’ve got to tell you, my grandson offers a charge of life you can’t miss! Also, Naomi is learning to use her new camera really well. She’s mastered the trick – she tells me – of setting the timer to 10-seconds, making funny faces at David (and Craig) for 8-seconds, and then making a mad dash to get into the picture herself!
It not only does my heart good to see Naomi, Craig, and David enjoying one-another on vacation, it also reminds me of the way we were designed to engage this opportunity to “Live like we mean it” in our day-to-day lives. We may not be able to go on vacation all the time, but we can most certainly engage in re-creation on a daily basis.
Naomi, Craig, and David (photo by Naomi)
That’s pretty-much what happens on my morning walks. By the time I return home and serve Rebekah her morning coffee, I have something wonderful going on to invite her into. I’d like to invite each one of my readers too.
BACK TO THE BEGINNING:I’ve said this before, and it was a foundational premise for my 2009 book, “The Unmaking of a Part-Time Christian.” But I see this experience of living faithful lives as “A constant movement forward… back to The Garden.”
By The Garden, I mean the idea of Eden, where relationship with God was as natural as chatting during a walk “in the cool of the day.”
Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”
This is a passage I quote often, and mostly because it is such a sad commentary on so many lives. And so, again, I’ll repeat the question from God: “Where are you?” (because we really should talk more).
- DEREK
Dog on a golf course!

No comments: