Tuesday, September 25, 2012

serendipity, a hint of fall in Florida, and a waterfall of grace


At 9:20, it’s still only 68!
66-degrees! Okay, so my readers who are not from Florida may not fully appreciate my excitement; but to wake up this morning and walk the dog with the temperature registering 66-degrees, with low humidity thrown in for good measure, well, all I can say is “Thank-you, thank-you thank-you!”
Then, as soon as we returned home, and while the coffee was still brewing, I opened all the windows and doors. I know I’ll probably have to close them again and crank the air-conditioning well before lunch, but I want to wring every ounce of fall-like refreshment possible from this small window of opportunity.
SERENDIPITY: This morning is a serendipity, and serendipity by definition is ephemeral. The fact that serendipity is unexpected, impossible to contain, and fleeting doesn’t make it any less real, it simply means I need to cultivate my awareness and then pause to enjoy the moment.
My spiritual life is a lot like that. Like serendipity, the Spirit of God tends to move outside my default level of awareness. If I don’t cultivate my receptivity, then I blunder blindly through my day, my week, as if it is God who is silent rather than me who is unreceptive….
My “Upper Room” Daily reading this morning came from Psalm 139 (one of my favorites). Here it is:
If I rise on the wings of the morning,
if I settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
 even there your hand shall lead me,
your right hand shall hold me fast. – (Psalm 139:9-10)
Reading those verses is an example of cultivating receptivity. Spiritual serendipity becomes more frequent when we adjust those “default settings” of awareness. One way to do this (just about the best, in my estimation) is employing intentionality when it comes to daily devotional readings.
How do you spell refreshment? With Rebekah at Grotto Falls in Tennessee
Time spent with God, in the context of scripture, is always refreshing.
God; serendipity; 66-degrees with the doors and windows wide open; scripture; prayer.
Refreshment. Replenishment. It’s like a waterfall of grace.
- DEREK

No comments: