Friday, April 16, 2010

Social Networking with God!

How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down upon the collar of his robes. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the LORD bestows his blessing, even life forevermore. Psalm 133

This whole "social networking" phenomenon is interesting on so many levels. I signed up with facebook about a year ago, and am still discovering more cool stuff the website is capable of achieving.

Because of facebook I'm "in touch" with several hundred people, and on a daily basis. Information, status updates, blog entries, news items, interesting details passed along, and friendly messages thrown every-which-way - all around the globe. It's mind-boggling, to say the least.

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I lead a group of around 15 men in a weekly Bible-study/support group... Most of the time I can barely get more than a handful to acknowledge an important email! Here's how it goes:
  • Me: "Hey, how's it going? Did you take a look at the important message I asked you to read...?"
  • Guy from my group: "Uhhh, well, not exactly... But I did see the subject line where you said it was critical that we all take a look...."
Meanwhile, in places like India, Georgia, Oregon, France, Virginia, England and Peru (for example), upwards of 50 people have pulled a similar item off my blog or via facebook and messaged me in some way to let me know I was in their prayers!

Generally, my contact with folk via facebook is more likely to be leaning toward the superficial. At the same, however, seeing a friend's name and status pop up on the screen can also be an opportunity to pause and pray. I have lifted (and continue to lift up) countless people "Before The Throne of Grace". Just a short prayer of thanksgiving, or maybe a petition on their behalf, and I'm back to work. I know it's always a blessing for me.

Instant Messages?
Typically, I write with two computers open on my desk. One for whatever I'm working on at the time, and the other for emails, facebook, and a variety of "peripheral" tasks. Consequently, my status tends to read "available", even if I'm out shopping or walking the dog. I have around a 99% failure rate when it comes to responding to "chat" or "instant messages". I don't ignore them on purpose - I simply don't notice the alert until it's too late.

To tell the truth, I'm glad I don't notice the chat prompts. They're one more level of distraction that I don't need and I'd rather have a few minutes to think about a response. So let's stick to emails if you really want to talk.

Which brings me to this cell-phone picture from my men's conference this past weekend. A room full of faithful men, committed to moving forward in their faith journey, and sharing deep ideas with their brothers in a room full of small groups.

A few minutes later, I issued instructions for the prayer portion of the session, and every man bowed his head to pray aloud for the ministry of the local church, and for the men who would benefit from receiving a personal invitation to join a band of faithful brothers.

I have to tell you, and I remarked on it to my new friend, Ray, that morning: the sound of 75-plus men talking with God about their home church, praying aloud about what they could possibly do to advance the kingdom Jesus talked about so much... that sound was beautiful.

Social networking, with God as an intimate part of the equation. Not a journey to faith so much as a journey in faith, of faithfulness, and alongside their friend - Jesus.
  • How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down upon the collar of his robes. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the LORD bestows his blessing, even life forevermore. - Psalm 133

No comments: