Thursday, April 28, 2011

The only way to deal with "too busy"

Just a short post today, because there's just too much to do! If you're a person of faith, I'd value your prayers. And if you're not, well, please consider this your invitation to begin that long overdue conversation with God... consider it a public service!

My "mountain of work" today is two-fold:
  • First, I need to be 100% ready for a retreat I'm leading this weekend. I'll be working with 35 men and speaking seven times on the theme of "A Spiritual Journey". I always enjoy this kind of experience, but the "getting ready" part can be a tremendous amount of work.
  • Then, and this also needs to be wrapped up and delivered today, I'm finishing up my latest proposal for a new book. My editor is very excited about the idea, but this formal proposal (an over 50-page document) will be presented to the new publications committee for approval and it needs to be spot-on. If they give the thumbs up then I'll work to deliver the manuscript by September 1, with an expected publication date of June 2012.
Too Busy Not To:
I've said this before in this space, but it's worth repeating. The best thing I can possibly do when I'm this busy is - first - to set aside some time for worship and prayer. If I'm too busy to pray, then I always tend to be unproductive and out of tune. However, when I begin a day like this in the instructive and redemptive presence of my Creator - especially when I don't think I have the time to spare - then I find that I get a whole lot more done and at a deeper quality too.

Typically, I'm not the kind of guy who hangs out much in the Old Testament book of Job. This morning, however, the following words from one of the oldest narratives in Judeo-Christian literature really resonated with me. Take a moment and read the short passage below, and see how the scriptures speak to your heart and soul.

Peace - DEREK

Job 19:23-27:
“Oh, that my words were recorded,
   that they were written on a scroll,
that they were inscribed with an iron tool on lead,
   or engraved in rock forever!
I know that my redeemer lives,
   and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
   yet in my flesh I will see God;
 I myself will see him
   with my own eyes—I, and not another.
   How my heart yearns within me!

1 comment:

Grandma Grace said...

Assuring you of our prayers Derek !What a wonderful Bible passage to share ! I KNOW that MY Redeemer Lives ! Keep reminding yourself of this as you travel ! Your Redeemer will use you for His Glory this weekend !