Thursday, February 16, 2012

logistics, statistics and ballistics


check out the "follow" button)
Item # 1 - logistics: We all know I'm not much of a "geek;" I'm not ashamed to admit that technology is always somewhat of a challenge. However, in a recent "aha" moment, I discovered how useful the "Follow blog by email" button can be. Check it out, especially the "manage" feature that allows readers to customize how - and how often - you receive new posts.

Help me have happy stats!
Item # 2 - statistics: Yes, I'm aware that "statistics" rhymes with "logistics." I swear it was an accident. 2012 has seen a significant up-tick of interest in this blog. Currently, combining numbers from the three sites where these musings post, around 300 people stop by each day. With your help, I'd like to see that number top 500. Please consider sharing this blog address with your friends, forwarding links to posts you have found helpful, and inviting others to check in from time to time. "Word of mouth" is still the best possible way to get a message out, so I'm relying on each one of you.

Item # 3 - ballistics: Okay, I admit it, this time I succumbed to the temptation to add another rhyming word. But it actually works. You see I really am thinking about the "dynamics of projectiles" here. We all launch ourselves at the beginning of each day. Now I'm not talking about "going ballistic," (which I'm sure we all do on occasion) but our "flight characteristics" as we head out into our lives.

Setting the day in motion...
So here's the question. How, as a projectile into this new day, do we launch successfully? What are the characteristic qualities of our flight path? Are we erratic, or consistent? Is there any purposeful sense of direction, or are we haphazard and - to use a related idea - aimless?
Solutions: I'd like to suggest two short-term interventions and one long-term commitment:
  1. Set your alarm for 15 minutes earlier for the next four days. Then, once you are up, take a 15-minute walk.
  2. Spend the first one minute (just one) in prayer. Simply repeat the following sentence several times: "Lord God, please be with me today and bless my family with your love." Take the remainder of your short walk in silence. Then complete the walk with the same prayer.
THEN, beginning next Tuesday (February 21, Shrove Tuesday), I'd like to invite each one of you to take the 49-day Reaching Toward Easter Lenten journey with me. There are three ways you could do this:
  • Read along with me in my new book, Reaching Toward Easter. Find it at - Amazon or The Upper Room
  • Participate in the really cool "On-line Lenten Retreat" The Upper Room has organized. You can find details at - Lenten Retreat
  • Log in to this blog every day and pick up a different perspective. Invite some friends to join you.
What ever you chose, please do something intentional that will launch each day in the right direction. Life always has the potential to be transformational. Don't miss the opportunity.

Petra - stepping out of the routine
One more thing, and it's my guarantee. If you take the 49-day challenge, reading and praying with consistency and purpose, I am 100% confident that you will be a transformed person by the time Easter Sunday rolls around.
Do you dare?

When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?” - Luke 24

Peace, and Promise - DEREK

No comments: