Wednesday, June 20, 2012

an invitation to live in the moment - THIS moment



Columbian. Fair Trade. Fresh ground. Timely…
his is one of those “tie-up-the-loose-ends” weeks, loaded with details that tend to get in the way of more substantive projects that (I believe) really need my attention. Things like:
  • I’m scheduled to teach three different classes at Lake Junaluska the second week of July…
  • I need to finalize my “keynote” for the Disciples of Christ Men’s Conference in mid-July…
  • I know the direction I want to take for my next book – but I really need a couple of uninterrupted weeks to get the outline fleshed out and a couple of chapters written…
Reality, however, is more properly expressed in terms of the myriad smaller tasks that often dominate the immediate landscape.
This is why God invented coffee! Coffee not only clears my head, but it brings me back to the immediate.
“I want my dinner I want my dinner I want my dinner… but I’m a good girl who waits… Really, I’m trying as hard as I can….”
SHORT VIEW: Scout, on the other hand, has the short view on life.
Sure Scout is patient, and I know she anticipates events such as Rebekah coming home from work, our walk first thing in the morning, and what’s scheduled to happen in her life immediately after we get home (breakfast) and immediately after Rebekah and I eat (supper) and just moments after I brush my teeth at night (snack). But, at the root of her being, Scout lives in the moment.
There’s a lot to be said for Scout’s essential philosophy. Right now, in this moment, this is where life happens.
It really begs the question, “So why not make the absolute most of the moment we are in?” Or, as Jesus put it:
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself…”
I don’t think that Jesus was talking about ducking out of our responsibilities, or living without any vision or plan; I believe the Lord was an advocate of living in the moment. Not just any moment, but THIS moment.
BE STILL: It’s the same idea the writer had in Psalm 46, via the words “Be still, and know that I am God” (another translation reads, “Cease striving and know…”). It’s that sense of experiencing the Holy, right now, rather than waiting for some other time, when we can arrange for a little quiet, the “right” setting, and maybe some mood music.
Instead, the message of the scriptures is very much a, “Now is the acceptable time of the Lord” response to faith.
As God’s partners, we beg you not to accept this marvelous gift of God’s kindness and then ignore it. For God says,
“At just the right time, I heard you.
On the day of salvation, I helped you.”
Indeed, the “right time” is now. Today is the day of salvation. - (2 Corinthians 6:1-2)
“Anywhere, Lord… any time…”
So, I can plan ahead; I can wish I had more time for certain tasks; I can get bogged down by the details; I can get caught up in the busyness of it all…. Or I can be still, and I can welcome God into the moment – THIS moment.
- DEREK

No comments: