Sunday, December 2, 2012

a good time to find our way home


Advent begins!
Advent begins!
As for me, this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord. “My Spirit, who is on you, will not depart from you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will always be on your lips, on the lips of your children and on the lips of their descendants—from this time on and forever,” says the Lord. (Isaiah 59:21)
Today is the first Sunday of Advent. Typically I’d make a lot of noise about this, recommend reading my Advent book, talk about some of the things Rebekah and I do to help put our hearts and minds in the appropriate frame of reference, and then share some anecdote that brings the season into clear focus.
But I’m not going to do that today. Today I’m simply going to invite each one of us to think about what we’re looking forward to over the next three-and-a-half weeks, and then to consider looking forward to Jesus instead.
LIGHT AND LIFE: I’m going to suggest that we make the conscious decision to intentionally keep the idea of light and life front and center between now and Christmas.
Then, if we’re even a little bit confused about how we’re doing, try hitting the “pause” button, find a quiet space to collect your thoughts, and pray this simple prayer.
Thank you, God, for sending Jesus as the light to show me the way. This year, I want to make my way back to the manger and I want to kneel, humbly, in front of the infant Christ-child. When I’m distracted, Jesus, please bring me home; when I fail to love, Jesus, please bring me home; when I forget to keep hope, peace, love and joy at the center of the Christmas experience, Jesus, please bring me home. Amen
And we’re always welcome at home – DEREK

No comments: