Friday, April 19, 2013

Open the Floodgates of Heaven


May he be like rain falling on a mown field, like showers watering the earth (Psalm 72:6)
“You heavens above, rain down my righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness flourish with it; I, the LORD, have created it.” (Isaiah 45:8)
Wet morning flowers
Wet morning flowers
This morning, after another good rain, the garden is dripping wet and full with anticipation. It’s been a dry year to date, and this is maybe the third time in the past couple of weeks we’ve been blessed with a prolonged downpour.
Ironically, I had our sprinkler system fixed earlier this week. The guys came out and worked hard for a few hours so that, on our designated morning one day per week, we can apply the equivalent of a few watering cans to the parched plants and grass.
Our watering day is Friday, and this morning I couldn’t help but compare the splendid deep drenching of Thursday evening with the “squirt-gun on a swivel” running 20-minutes in each of the four “zones.”
OPEN THE FLOODGATES OF HEAVEN: Then, as the above words came through my fingers and on to the screen, I immediately thought about the difference between a brief, perfunctory “nod” to God one morning a week and the day-to-day thorough soaking of a Jesus-drenched life.
@[696483709:2048:Derek Maul] - the precipiceSunday worship with my community of faith becomes a full-on God-immersion only when I allow myself to stand in the daily downpour of his love and presence on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday too.
Forget the “squirt-gun on a swivel” approach to faith. Try a daily immersion in God. Starting now. Let it rain!
“Soaked” – DEREK

No comments: