Tuesday, April 9, 2013

what's your morning routine?



DSC_0010Like most people, I begin each morning with a routine. Part of it is intentional, and part has evolved in response to things like having a huge, galumphing dog in the house. Regardless, most days begin exactly the same way.
First, my alarm clock wakes me up. This comes under the “deliberate” heading. I’ve tried getting up without one but for some reason my body thinks we’re on “Mountain TIme.” That doesn’t work.
Then, after setting the coffee, I head out with Scout for our morning walk. This is also when I read my morning devotional and meditate on the scripture for the day. Today is was  Psalm 139. Here’s a summary:
Getting ready for class
“O Lord, you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away… Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence?… I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well… Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”
Morning coffee (on vacation)
Morning coffee (on vacation)
When we return from our walk I pour two mugs of coffee and take one of them back to Rebekah, then we chat and read the newspaper together before breakfast.
That’s the routine. I find that it sets the initial trajectory of each new day in the context of devotion, exercise, service, and awareness.
I may not necessarily always like what I read in the newspaper each morning, but I read it from a frame of reference that has already committed the day to God and has already served a cup of coffee in the name of love.
This morning, with Rebekah still in Connecticut visiting Naomi’s family, I took my coffee on the back porch and called her before I even read a word.
photoBecause whatever happens in this world – be it saber-rattling from North Korea, economic turmoil nationwide, political wrangling in Washington, or something worrisome closer to home – I know that the foundations of my life are rooted in my daily choice to follow God and my conscious re-commitment – every morning – to serve my family in  love.
What’s your morning routine? I’d like to suggest, if it doesn’t already include both deliberate devotion and acts of intentional love, that you take some conscious steps to launch your day with more promise and redemption - DEREK

No comments: