Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday morning headache!

I've got to say it's tough to be introspective when five guys with shovels, crowbars and hammers are literally tearing the roof off the house just ten feet above my head!

But this is real life. This is being alive on Monday morning, February 9, 2009. This is me being - or not being - a disciple of Jesus right here in the middle of whatever may be going on.

There is a necessary immediacy to the gospel message that gets easily lost between noon Sunday - when we leave morning worship - and 9:00 AM on a Monday morning. It helps a lot - for me - that I spend Sunday evening with a dozen or so of my closest friends, reading scripture, talking about our lives, praying for one another and keeping faith front and center.

So I wake up the next day and wonder if: -
  • This is the day I'm going to naturally think, act, respond, talk, write in the light and life of living faith...
  • Or if this is yet another day I have to make myself remember that I'm a Jesus follower - "Oh yea, right, I'm going to talk to God now - I knew there was something I was supposed to be doing..."
To be honest I really do understand that it is a process - and I understand that I was created with free will and the ability - the responsibility - to make my own decisions each and every day. THIS is the day I decide to follow Jesus. YESTERDAY I also had to make that choice. TOMORROW will be pretty much the same kind of day.

And I suspect that I am a lot closer to waking up already in the light than I ever have been before. My spiritual life is more of a reflex now than it has been in the past. Habits take time to form; deliberate willful repetition as a prelude to the natural flow.

Remember the hymn (I'm paraphrasing from cloudy memory)? God be in my head, and in my thinking; God be in my heart, and in my loving; God be in my hands, and in my doing; God be in my thoughts, and in my speaking...

OK - here it is, I found it on the web:
  • God be in my head and in my understanding
  • God be in mine eyes and in my looking
  • God be in my mouth and in my speaking
  • God be in my heart and in my thinking
  • God be at my end and in my departing.
(Walford Davies; 1869-1941)

God be in this day - and in my being.
- DEREK

No comments: