Thursday, February 12, 2009

So you must live like people who belong to the light.

Short entry today. We've been talking about the light, and how critical it is that we learn to connect with the source as a reflexive or autonomic response rather than keeping God at arms length, a separate part of our lives removed from immediacy - the day-to-day, moment-by-moment substance of living.

Well, Rebekah and I just had a new roof installed on the house. We thought about it, did some study, and decided to do something about the dark kitchen. The kitchen is where we hang out so much of the time, and while the fluorescent lights do brighten things up the light is desperately artificial. So we used the new roof opportunity to install one of those "Solatube" skylights. The little bubble on the roof has a series of prisms that capture tons of light and then flood the space below.

The difference is not so much in the volume as in the quality of the light.

That's how I feel as I learn to invite the source of light and life into my moment-by-moment. I feel flooded with life; I experience more insight; the truth becomes more incisive; there is a clarity I otherwise would not/could not know.

That light is necessary for the Life Examined. It is the only viable source of power for my ongoing journey. "Since you have become the Lord's people, you are in the light. So you must live like people who belong to the light." (Ephesians 5:8 - TEV)

No comments: