Saturday, August 14, 2010

The balance between what is and what might be













I don't know about you, but I sometimes struggle regarding how to live in the balance between what is and what is possible. Yesterday I wrote about radical potentiality. Today I'm thinking along the lines of abundant present.

By abundant present I mean living in the truth of what is and remembering to enjoy it... while at the same time engaging the amazing sense of potential that is loaded into both today and tomorrow.

It's an important balance, because thinking this way keeps me grounded. The reality of what is can be as exciting as the possibility of what might be. In fact, I believe that the potential for the future is largely influenced if not determined by how much we make (or are willing to make) of the present.

You see, there's a difference between merely saying, "Things are going to get better" - or "I believe that I'll find satisfaction (fulfillment, answers or my potential) on down the road"... and understanding the following truth: "Because the future is so inviting I'm going to bring some of that belief and intention into today, and live like I mean it right now!"

Living like we mean it, right now, is a declaration of faith that not only is there a tomorrow to move into, but that redemption is very much a reality today. The two work together. Now is the beginning of my future, and today is the only door I can walk through into tomorrow.

Thanking out loud - always - DEREK

No comments: