Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Don't tell me you can't find a blog by a preacher's husband...

This morning I read, with dismay, the following statement in an article about blogging featured in the Presbyterians Today Magazine. "Although there are a lot of women pastors in the mainline denominations today, I was not able to find an active blog written by a pastor’s husband. However, clergy husbands will find some of the issues addressed in these blogs resonate with their experiences." (Jody Harrington)

The primary problem with the above paragraph has do do with the fact that, knowing this article was planned, I sent the magazine an active link to this blog.

It's a shame, because the role of "Minister's Husband" has become a definitive part of my core modus operandi.
  • It's a role that defies stereotype.
  • It's both frustrating and liberating to be excluded from most conversation about and between "pastor's wives".
  • It's a lot of fun.
  • It's a huge element of who I am.
  • It's an unprecedented opportunity to serve God in creative ways.
However, and this is always the case for me, I have taken the error as a learning opportunity. Maybe, just as I concluded via the Elizabeth Edwards post last week, I need to be more deliberate about how I approach this on-line writing venue.

Tens of thousands of men read my posts on All Pro Dad! Why? Not just because the writing is good, but mostly because the content is specific for the expressed mission of the organization... So, why not approach my blogging the same way?

What I'm thinking about is dedicating Mondays to the "Preacher's Husband" theme. Kind of a "You didn't ask but I'm going to tell anyway" approach. Hmm, I kind of like that! In fact, I think I should launch a new blog specifically for my "preacher husband musings". I'll post just one day a week, probably Mondays, and we'll see what happens.

I'm going to try to make this new blog more in the style of my newspaper writing - "tight and bright" one of my editors would say.

Maybe this time I'll actually generate some interest beyond the few hundred of you who are faithful readers here. I'll keep you all posted. Then, once it's launched, maybe I can count on some of you to give me a boost, publicity, passing it around?


So, here it is, already rolled out and on the web. Check it out and let me know what you think.... 
- DEREK .......   Preacher's Husband  

No comments: