Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It's Cold in Florida!

"It's cold in Florida". "Record cold in Florida".

I don't often get the chance - unless I'm at the top of Mt. Washington on vacation - to talk about "freezing" in my daily blog. So this morning I'm taking Valrico's 29F and running with it. Yes, it was that cold.

Of course, chatting on the phone from Connecticut, our daughter Naomi has to come up with "Well, that was our high today!" But she's so sun-shiny about it that New England sounds cozy regardless.

The good news is I could break out some of my serious cold-weather gear that languishes deep in the closet most of the year. My tweed hat from England, a thick sweater, lined leather gloves, a toasty wool scarf. The tweed hat, I noted, makes me look at least an additional ten years older; "older but distinguished", I might add (that's "distinguished", by the way, not "extinguished").

I have to admit I really enjoy a good, brisk, walk in the cold. I like veering into the grass to leave footprints in the frost. I like bundling up in warm clothing. I even like being slightly uncomfortably chilly at the outset, and feeling myself warm up in response to the exercise. I like having to unbutton my jacket after a couple of miles to cool down. And I like hot coffee, freshly ground, shared with Rebekah when I arrive home forty-five minutes later.

I simply like life. I like this life that we're enjoying in this place and time. And I'm grateful, so grateful for the gift of... everything.
  • Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. (Colossians 3:15)
Peace, Hope, Joy & Love - DEREK




No comments: