Monday, May 14, 2012

"Happy Festival of Mothers: Three photos and a scripture


Looks like I’m on the mend
Three pictures have impressed themselves on my consciousness this morning, so I’ll share the images – each with a short story.
I’ll start with my first decent run-in with health in several decades. Probably more of a concern because I recall several stories of guys in their 50′s who watched a viral infection turn into something very serious very fast.
Consequently my head cold that became severe flu, and then morphed into bronchitis/pneumonia did get my attention and has put a serious dent in my May. Typically I don’t head into the doctor’s office that readily, but I’m glad I did this weekend. They didn’t take it lightly so I’m popping a variety of colorful pills and trying to keep a low profile for a few days.
Mother’s Day roses
“BUONA FESTA DELLA MAMMA!” The first Mother’s Day greeting came from Andrew. We’re not Italian language scholars, but we’re translating it, “Happy Festival of Mothers.”
Rebekah got to speak with both children, and it is so cool to know that this was Naomi’s first Mother’s Day as a parent. I managed a really primo card for Rebekah, along with a dozen of the nicest roses I’ve found in a long time.
The real disappointment was my sickness canceling Mother’s Day with my mum. I know this was an especially difficult day, having lost Geoff just two months ago, and it broke my heart not to spend it together.
But love is resilient; love is designed for eternity; and love always finds a way to heal. Death is a painful interruption, but it has no power over love, and no ability to erode what is pure and true.
Derek, Rebekah and David (my dad)PIRATE NIGHT PIC: Then my niece Hannah sent me this fun image from “Pirate Night” on the cruise.  We put on our bandanas, called everyone “matey,” and told all the corny pirate jokes we could invent on the fly. Keepers like, “What’s a pirate’s favorite vegetable?” Answer, “ARRRRRRR-tichokes!” and, “What’s a pirate’s favorite hymn?” Answer; “How Great Thou ARRRRRRt!”
I got a hold of Hudson’s swashbuckling saber and we managed a terrifying “AAAARRRRR!!!!” for the camera. Don’t you think Rebekah makes a most ferocious buccaneer!
FAITHFULNESS: This life is often a collection of seemingly independent images, sound bites that come to our minds when we see a photograph, hear from a loved one, or remember the pain. But there is a consistency, a thread that runs through it all and brings a sense of story. And that is the great faithfulness of God’s everlasting love.
- DEREK
Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
 Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.” – Lamentations 3:21-24

No comments: