Monday, June 24, 2013

Be strong in grace!


photo_2Church yesterday was, as per usual, a beautiful experience of worship, fellowship, grace, hope and promise. It was our first Sunday since the news about Rebekah’s move became public, so there was also a lot of emotion and more than a few tears
BE STRONG IN THE GRACE OF JESUS!!
Rebekah’s message was – again, as per usual – spot on. She spoke about the Community of Faith, opening up the questions, “What are we here for? What is our purpose? What is the church?”
The current podcast should be available sometime this morning; just click on First Presbyterian Church of Brandon 2013 Sermon Podcasts. I really recommend taking the time to listen.
Sunday was a day full with great conversation, from the worship hour, to Sunday school, to lunch with Tim and Kelly, to our wonderful small-group in the evening. But interestingly – and this is “par for the course” too – it turned out there was a unifying theme that ran deeper than the sum of all the individual parts, and that’s where Second Timothy comes in.
2 TIMOTHY: I read the New Testament book of Second Timothy in preparation for my morning class, and I was captured by the sense of personal communication that came through. The writing commented with unerring relevance at every turn during the day, culminating in our evening meeting, where the text seemed to offer specific wisdom that spoke into our lives and our prayer concerns time and again.
“I know the one in whom I have put my trust,” Paul writes, “and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him.” And then, like a clarion call to proactive Christian living, “Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit living in us.”
GUARD THE GOOD TREASURE ENTRUSTED TO YOU!!!
photoThe letter goes on to encourage readers to “Be strong in the grace that is in Jesus,” and refers to the good news not just as the gospel, but as my gospel.
And I believe I’ve just discovered, or uncovered, my point of inspiration for this Monday morning post. What God is looking for is disciples of Jesus who don’t just think about the Good News as for everyone (which it is), or for the church (which it is), or for their family (which it is), or for their friends (which it is)… but to intentionally engage the amazing message of love and reconciliation and salvation as MY GOSPEL!
MY GOSPEL: This is the good news that is so clear in my heart and mind this morning. God loves me; God sent Jesus to break down all the barriers that have been erected between humankind and God (personal barriers, cultural religious barriers and more…); God invites me to become a Follower of the Way of Jesus; the Holy Spirit fills me with the grace to live a life of love; I have been given the community of faith as a mutual strength and encouragement…
  1. @[696483709:2048:Derek Maul] - the precipiceGod loves me;
  2. God sent Jesus to break down all the barriers that have been erected between humankind and God;
  3. God invites me to become a Follower of the Way of Jesus;
  4. the Holy Spirit fills me with the grace to live a life of love;
  5. I have been given the community of faith as a mutual strength and encouragement…
… and THIS DAY, Monday June 24, just happens to be my latest opportunity (our latest opportunity) to live into the truth of such a good treasure, that has been entrusted to me.
In hope and in promise – DEREK

No comments: