Monday, January 5, 2009

Life best enjoyed with enthusiasm - Monday

Starting the new year with our daughter, Naomi, in the house has been a shot of adrenaline to say the least. She loves fun, she loves people, she loves her husband, and she goes directly at things - work... conversation... playing games... joy - as if there's no reason to do anything other than full-tilt.

So we drove out to the airport this morning, where they boarded their flight for wintery Connecticut, and she wanted to stop for a soda on the way. I pulled in at a gas station.

"Can I get a fountain drink," she asked, fairly bobbing up and down on the edge of her seat. "I really enjoy Fountain drinks!"

Then she came back to the car, eyes dancing, and balanced the drink in her lap. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she gushed. "Fountain drinks are the best!"

I took in the scene. The enthusiasm, the absence of cynicism, the genuine joy, the appreciation of the small things, the no-holds-barred approach to even picking up a soda. And a smile edged its way across my face. What a great way to approach the day!

Then I thought, "Why not?"

Joy to all - DEREK

No comments: