Tuesday, January 13, 2009

When "O-D" = Over-Derek

One seriously effective step toward actually achieving the "Life Examined" is the privilege of listening to your friends. Consequently, all I've been able to think about for the past few hours has been the very real possibility that, in intending to examine my own life, I have in effect achieved a kind of de-facto overindulgence in self; that I have become preoccupied in promoting my own agenda at the expense of actually contributing anything of substance in terms of mission.

The question becomes "Am I a vehicle for Christ... or am I simply using faith as a vehicle to deliver more of Derek Maul?" I like the response John the Baptist gave when his followers shared some exciting news about Jesus. "The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less." (John 3:29-30)

I am very conscious of the dangers inherent in commanding any kind of an audience. I realize that I need to live up to my name more accurately. "Derek" is not an ancient Hebrew name... but, the two syllables (De-rek) manage - in concert - to approximate the Hebrew phrase that translates "The Way." I want to point the way to Christ.

So what I would like to achieve is the following: 1- Significantly less in terms of "O.D." (over-derek). And - 2 - Much more in terms of allowing myself to be a pathway, a conduit, a road the leads directly to Jesus. "This is the confidence we have in approaching God," John writes in his letter: "that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us." (1 John 5:14)

So I'm asking, God, and I am believing even as I pray - because I do have this confidence. Speak through this page; speak in my life; speak through my life; speak in spite of my limited and selfish agenda. Please empower my witness to become so loaded with your truth that the light is difficult to miss.

This space is not going to be just another family newsletter - although my family will appear here from time-to-time; it's not going to be about Derek - but I will show up every day; and my writing is not going to stand and watch, playing the part of reporter while others actually get off their duffs and follow Jesus.

This is Derek on the half-shell; someone turned up the oven and I guess I'm getting cooked!
Grace and Peace...

No comments: