Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mission to Romania

This week my son, Andrew, is in Romania. He's helping lead a team of young people from Italy on an 8-day mission adventure. The picture at left is the official prayer card the team sent out a couple of weeks back; if you click on it you should be able to read the details.

It's difficult to put into words how happy it makes me to know that Andrew has chosen to move into this deliberate path of daily discipleship; that he has moved from the periphery of a life of faith and into a closer walk with God.

Things started to come together for him on the plane-ride to Europe, but if you're interested in his story I'll let you read for yourself. Click on this photo of Andrew and the "leaning tower" to read about my son's journey in his own words (it's a long entry, but worth it).

It's interesting - and no coincidence, I'm sure - that the title of my new book is "The Unmaking of a Part Time Christian" (Sept. 2009, Upper Room Books). I'm working on one of the final edits this week, and I can't help but note how being involved in mission - along with other Jesus-followers - has had such an impact on my personal movement from part-time faith and into this "live as if I mean it" adventure.

So I want to invite everyone to pray for Andrew's mission in Romania this week, and especially to pray that his path forward from this point will be made clear.

Life has the potential to be full with challenge, blessing, meaning, and opportunity - every day. We were gifted with this day - today; I wonder how I will respond to the possibilities over the next 24 hours?

Love and blessings - DEREK

No comments: