Saturday, June 13, 2009

Good conversation and a benediction

A lot of good dialogue was generated by yesterday's blog. (The "I'm really irritated" post). People responded via Facebook and email, sharing a good assortment of insight and wisdom.

Some people expressed surprise that I even get irritated! But I decided right at the beginning that this blog - if it really is "A Life Examined" would always reflect honestly what's going on in my heart and mind.

Generally, and I think this is fairly obvious, I really do own a positive spirit. It's not Pollyanna (as one newspaper reader once suggested) so much as it is the way I naturally tend to relate to the world. It also helps that Rebekah and I love and enjoy each other, are empty-nesters, are passionate about the work we do for a living, live out our lives in the context of an amazingly positive faith community, and seem to be making ends meet without too much of a struggle.

My irritation yesterday (compiled from several instances over the past week or so), may be partially reflective of my impatience with people who refuse to enjoy this amazing gift that life can be. I honestly believe that each one of us was created with the potentiality of a full and meaningful life...

... Not necessarily an easy and convenient life, struggle free. That's something else entirely. But I do feel that meaning, peace, and joy is always on the table. So if bothers me when I see people who are ruled by negativity, bitterness, cynicism or disillusion. Even more so when they try to export that point of view to others!

Anyway, today I spent four hours in the heat doing yard work. Always good for me; always helpful for the perspective. So I'm offering this benediction for those who are weary of heart:
  • Today, select peace as the primary option for your soul. Engage the deep work of reconciliation creation offers to those who play in the dirt and appreciate the life bound up in soil and plant. Then, if you are able, lift your face to the heavens and give thanks. Life is good.
Love and blessings - DEREK

2 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

God is good...even when we don't understand the next step...

Janet Frenkel said...

Derek your positive and optimistic spirit is present in everything you do - its truly who you are. It's inspring. We need more people to have the courage you have to speak about the wonderful and exciting possibilities life, in all its glory, offers us. Each day, each minute, we have a choice as to how we're going to view our circumstances. Since every minute we have on this earth is a gift from God - why would we want to spend one minute not appreciating that gift. We don't always have to understand things or situations to be grateful for them. Thank you Derek for your peaceful spirit.