Friday, January 22, 2010

Snow Leopard and Colossians - believe it!


As I've said before - I truly love my new mac mini desktop computer (and the mind-boggling "magic" mouse). But I've just about come to the conclusion that I may have to go to the apple store and cash in some of my pre-paid mac-tutorial hours.

Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is an awesome innovation. I'm getting glimpses of some of the elegance that defines the operating system. The way things work together is virtually seamless.

BUT... and this is (no offense to people dealing with girth issues) a big but... I still use the computer like I'm living in Windows. I use the mouse for everything, when keyboard shortcuts are just waiting to be utilized; I try to manipulate iPhoto (which is superior) using the protocols I learned in Windows Photo Gallery... and so it goes.

My epiphany this morning ties in with one of my (recent) favorite scripture references. "Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules?" – Colossians 2:20

So I'm working on my new computer, with a new, elegant, operating system - but I mostly interface with the experience as if I am still governed by Windows protocols.

What real difference, then, am I experiencing - when I sill live according to the basic principles that ruled my former allegiance?

(That, by the way, was hopefully the transition sentence that applied equally to the computer illustration and the Colossians tie-in!)

Unbelievable!! As I was typing that last parenthetical phrase, I was alerted to a new email. It was - I kid you not - from Apple. "Get the most from your Mac: Great ideas for sharing, shooting, and editing your photos..."

It turns out that I don't have to flop around like a fish out of water. There is help available if I seriously intend to make good use of the new world I have chosen to occupy.

Tutorials.... daily devotionals, Bible reading, prayer.
Tech support... mentoring from experienced friends.
Help line... reaching out to those who have already navigated the waters...

So what's it going to be? Am I going to act as if I still lived in - belonged to - another world? Or am I going to engage all the amazing possibilities and utilizes the resources and the creativity and the support and the newness that's just waiting for me to move to the next level...

Peace - DEREK






No comments: