Monday, January 18, 2010

The Epic Purge

"The seed cast in the weeds represents the ones who hear the kingdom news but are overwhelmed with worries about all the things they have to do and all the things they want to get. The stress strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it. But the seed planted in the good earth represents those who hear the Word, embrace it, and produce a harvest beyond their wildest dreams." Jesus: Mark 4: 18-20 - The Message

Sometimes I find myself having to forge an uneasy truce between my natural tendency to run a variety of projects simultaneously and the need for at least a modicum of order in my study. It's not that I'm messy... so much as I don't file very well! So I tend to let it all pile up on my desk (and then every other available surface) until I need a leaf-blower to find lost items that have been heard, faintly, gasping for air and offering muffled yells of "DEADLINE!!!"

So, Saturday, what started as an innocent vacuuming turned into an epic purge. I got rid of close to half the "stuff" that hangs around and does nothing productive other than simply get in the way. Books, rough drafts, notes for lectures and messages, bills and taxes and insurance from years past, memorabilia that has lost any meaningful associations and - gasp! - half the books that I know I'll never open again.

Then I reorganized, emptied the shelves, dusted every surface, and turned my study into a functional, inviting space.

Here's the irony - well, it's irony for me because I've been digging my heels in and fighting acknowledging this principle, understanding that, once I do, then I have no excuses - the irony is that my study is now more conducive to productive, creative work. It turns out that I like my workspace this clean and I may have to keep it this way!

What a writer needs:
Rebekah gave me this wonderfully comfortable leather chair where I can read, as well as some cool containers for storage and easy access. I've heard it said that all a writer needs nowadays is a computer and Internet access. But I beg to differ. There's a lot I can do on-line, but I still prefer a familiar edition of the Bible in my hands; Roget's Thesaurus next to my "Encyclopedia of Quotations" on my desk; works by my favorite authors on the shelves; and - in general - my personalized signature on the space.

More than that, of course, I need to be intimately connected to the source of life, the epicenter of creativity, the author of inspiration; my best writing comes when I allow God to flow through me and add the Creator's signature to my work.

So here I am, surrounded by good books, well organized, and connected to "The ground of all being" in my heart and soul.... What else could I possibly need to produce some monumental work...?

.... Well, I could start by taking care of some of those looming deadlines. It is, after all, still Monday morning!
  • The seed cast in the weeds represents the ones who hear the kingdom news but are overwhelmed with worries about all the things they have to do and all the things they want to get. The stress strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it.
Love and blessings - DEREK

No comments: