Thursday, January 14, 2010

Potency! I am about to do a new thing!

Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
- Isaiah 43:18-19

I read the above selection from Isaiah as part of this morning's Upper Room Daily Devotional. It served as a great follow up thought to yesterday's blog post that finished up "WE DON'T HAVE TO WAIT!!! Today could be the day you begin the revolution!"

It turned out to be exactly where we started at my "Men's Room" Bible-study yesterday evening. We've launched a new 9-week study using coach Tony Dungy's book, "Quiet Strength". 14 men showed up for the kick-off discussion.

Every one of us in that room said that we are open for God to "Do a new thing" with us - and that was why we were there. Imagine the potential for revolutionary change represented around the table!
  • Marriages that truly represent Christlike love in action
  • School teachers motivated to literally be the presence of Jesus in the classroom
  • Fathers interacting with children in terms of agape love
  • Retirees with the freedom to plan out their day in response to the initiatives of the Holy Spirit
  • Men disappointed with marriages defined by conflict making the choice to - first and foremost - be kind to their spouse
  • Friends relating to one-another in terms of Galatians 6:2: "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ"...
Having lived in this world over 50 years now, I truly believe that what happens today, tomorrow, next month, next year and for the rest of our lives (however long that may be) is HUGELY impacted by the decisions we make, by the frame of mind we bring to the table, and by what we believe is (or is not) possible.

Personally, I choose to believe that God's promises are real and that they are actualized in Jesus. Yesterday evening I sat at a table with a group of 14 men who dare to believe the same thing.

Talk about potency! You want to be a real man? You want to define what it means to be potent? Follow Jesus with all your heart, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. On this simple truth hangs all the wisdom of the ages.

- DEREK


1 comment:

Rich Bradford said...

Wow! I came here to comment on general about your blog, and I see you have Is. 43:18-19 quoted. Our men's leadership group (deacons, elders, family group leaders) at South Brandon Worship Center discussed those verses a week ago. That prompted me to write the verses down and I am staring at them in front of my desk.

Regarding your blog, I am amazed that you are able to keep up with it 6 days a week. I am doing well if I can post something once or twice a month. You inspire me to do better. Keep up the good work and many blessings to you.

Rich