Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sacred Rhythms - Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday. When I was younger I wasn't a huge proponent of the formal "Church Calendar". However, as my spiritual journey has evolved I'm finding a lot of meaning in what I call "Sacred Rhythms". There is something powerful about deliberate pathways, and practices steeped in tradition.

I've included this photograph of a rose, taken in our garden, because the beauty of simplicity is too obvious a lesson to overlook. For me, that's going to be my approach to this season of Lent; not involving myself in complex religious activities so much as recognizing the simple strength of a pure focus on God's love.

It also happens to be our emphasis at church - fpcbrandon.org. Uncluttered love. Following Jesus, Focused on a nourishing relationship with God. Filled with the Spirit.

That is my word for today, along with the following John 3 selection about Jesus:
- DEREK
  • The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less.” The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.

No comments: