Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday - Blessed Rain - Irresistible Love

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth - John 1:14

Every year the Ash Wednesday worship and communion service at our church grows a little larger (that's Tim, "preaching casual"). It's as if more and more people from fpcBrandon are approaching life in terms of the Sacred Rhythm I talked about in yesterday's post. I wonder if they all understand how deeply their presence nourishes my soul?

Today we woke up to torrential rains. Typically I think of the freshness of a new day in terms of light - washing up over the low rise to the east and splashing into the house via my kitchen window. But, especially reflecting on the communion service yesterday evening, I can't help but receive the image of baptism, washed fresh from all the stuff that accumulates in our lives and settles in our consciousness.

I stepped outside into the rain with Scout (I couldn't find my umbrella), and my face was instantly wet with the first gust of wind. We didn't stay out long, but it felt good. I feel renewed.

What a great way to get the ball rolling for Lent! The opportunity for a fresh start in my spiritual life. My face washed directly from the heavens. It's a kind of clean slate.

So I'm wondering how exactly I'll be putting one foot in front of the other and growing in my relationship with God. But I'm in good company; I'm part of a faith community that is open to the breath of heaven and that embraces the claims of irresistible love.

Here's a great hymn that came to mind this morning:
  • Breathe on me, breath of God, Fill me with life anew, That I may love what Thou dost love, And do what Thou wouldst do.
  • Breathe on me, breath of God, Until my heart is pure, Until with Thee I will one will, To do and to endure.
  • Breathe on me, breath of God, Blend all my soul with Thine, Until this earthly part of me Glows with Thy fire divine.
  • Breathe on me, breath of God, So shall I never die, But live with Thee the perfect life Of Thine eternity.
God's rich blessings - DEREK

1 comment:

Jon Baldwin said...

Nice Derek. Blessings to you two.