Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Moment of Serendipity

Our garden from the 7th green

You, LORD, are my shepherd.
I will never be in need.
You let me rest in fields
of green grass.
You lead me to streams
of peaceful water,
and you refresh my life.
You are true to your name,
and you lead me
along the right paths. (Psalm 23:1-3 CEV)

Yesterday evening there was a moment, standing in the kitchen, when life was absolutely perfect.
I was preparing dinner and had just checked on the salmon that was baking in the oven; the aroma was heavenly, a Jimmy Buffett CD played optimistically in the background, Scout was spread-eagled on the cool tile floor. I looked through the window to the back garden where Rebekah - who had just come home from work - was pruning rose bushes; Darth, our cool black cat, followed her as she moved around the patio.

I glanced at a recent photograph of our son, Andrew - living his great adventure in Italy; and our daughter, Naomi - who (along with Craig) is happily expecting our first grandchild in a few short weeks. I paused to offer thanks.

It's not so much the huge things that make life wonderful, but more often the quiet apprehension of grace in the moment. The way the sunlight catches an open flower; the particular phrasing of a favorite measure of music; Rebekah's smile in acknowledgment of my wave; the goodness of nutritious food; a welcome pause from busy lives; the knowledge that our children are at peace....

And, when we held hands to say a simple blessing and voice our gratitude for the meal, we were speaking thanks for so much more than good food. Resident in those simple words were all the moment by moment evidences of God's love that provide sweet commentary on the deep meaning of life, the awesome privilege of sharing truth and inspiration via our work, and our confidence that sublime serendipity will decorate the promise that is tomorrow....

Grace and blessing - DEREK

No comments: