Friday, September 9, 2011

WWW - Surf the World-Wide-World



"Liechtenstein", taken a couple of weeks ago by Andrew Maul
I love the Internet. It's the perfect complement to my life as a writer.

If you're reading this, it's not because I write for some newspaper or magazine, it's because the miracle of the world-wide-web enables you to look over my shoulder as I do my morning devotions, sit at the keyboard, and get my writing engine running for the day.

I rely on the world-wide-web, and I can't imagine how I'd begin to survive as a professional writer if it suddenly went away.

If you're looking at the photograph of Liechtenstein, it's because my son, Andrew, captured the image a couple of weeks back while traveling in Europe. He then posted it on his facebook account so that I could pirate the picture and paste it into this blog.

Because of the Internet, the pictures I take on my camera and my phone are instantly available (one problem with this is the fact that many people post pics without first taking the time to sort, edit, and discard where appropriate!).

Research opportunities are at my fingertips. Contact with sources and source documents can be facilitated in seconds. Editors (and their rejection letters) are just the stroke of a few keys away.
"WWW" = Good.

Surf the world-wide-world
Surf the World-Wide-World. But today I want to tweak the "www" a little, and recommend we all spend less time on-line and a little more time surfing the "world-wide-world". I was inspired this week when Andrew labelled one of his photos - above - "Liechtenstein, country number 36 knocked off the list."

Now that is awesome. Personally, I can count just 27 nations (thus far). But I'm not simply talking about international travel, when I say (and this is the first time I've ever said it) "Surf the world-wide-world." I'm talking about the deliberate decision to be intentional about living large.

And by living large I'm not saying "Spend lots of money." Money may be able to open some doors, but money has absolutely nothing to do with the fundamental orientation of living large. Living large is a decision.
Living large is a decision, and I'd argue that it works best when entered into as a faith-based decision. Because I believe that it is built into our essential nature as human beings to live the life abundant.

My understanding of the teachings of the Bible is that Gospel means, "Good News." A huge element of the Good News is the fact that we were designed and created for the purpose of living a life that means something. Not just in the eternal but the here and now. Not just the hereafter but today, this very day, the one we're looking at from the vantage point of another new morning.
There's a thought that bears repeating: We were designed and created for the purpose of living a life that means something. Not just in the eternal but the here and now. Not just the hereafter but today, this very day, the one we're looking at from the vantage point of another new morning.
Over the next few weeks I'm going to be surfing the world-wide-world by investing myself in the wonder that is life. That means:
  • Loving Rebekah with all the imagination and commitment and faithfulness and creative energy that I can muster.
  • Becoming a granddaddy for the very first time!
  • Putting quality time into relationships with people. People rock!
  • Showing up at church and getting involved in the cool stuff going on there.
  • Walking the dog with my smart-phone turned off.
  • Doing my very best when it comes to my work.
  • Reading several great books.
  • Investing in my faith via prayer and Bible-study and education opportunities.
  • Working in the garden.
  • Traveling to a men's conference to keynote and teach.
  • Playing my guitar.
  • Traveling to Italy to enjoy some quality time with Andrew and fall in love a little more with this amazing planet.
  • Plus a whole bunch of other stuff I can't think of at this moment....
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.” - Lamentations 3:22-24

I'm surfing the world-wide-world!
New every morning! The possibilities are endless. There is so, so much to enjoy and to love and to be thankful for. Why don't you join me? Surf the World-Wide-World - DEREK

No comments: