Friday, December 23, 2011

2-days and counting: keep it simple down the home stretch

As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” Romans 10:15

Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD.... - Jeremiah 29:12-14

This has been one of those Christmas seasons where - for me - everything seems to be boiling down to the essentials. Time and again, I find myself stripping faith down to the bare bones.

Today it's simply "Seek and find." Along with the assurance from God, "When you seek me with all of your heart, I will be found by you."


Chapel in Volterra
Jesus said as much during the sermon on the mount. And, later, Jesus pointed out that he is "The Gate", and also "The Way."
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. - Matthew 7:7-9
I believe one of our great errors in religion has been over-complication. Do this. Say that. Follow this code. Memorize these rules. Live according to such-and-such set of guidelines. Genuflect. Recite. Kneel. Chant. Turn around. Put your right foot out. Put your right foot in, You do the Hokey-Pokey. And you turn yourself around....
  • How about seek... find... end of story.
Maybe we conveniently forget about the "with all of your heart" part of the seeking? Maybe we forget about Jesus? Maybe we rush around like crazy in the days leading up to December 25 because we want a little more control in the process.

CONTROL: But along with control comes an absence of faith. "I can do this!" "I can summon the Christmas spirits!" "I can work the program until I wring out the last drop of peace, hope, love and joy...!"
Really? I don't think so.

Follow the star
How about honestly following the star? and how about God's assurance and promise? How about we rest in Jesus? How about we keep it simple for once, and just fall to our knees? How about a long, deep breath, a breathing in of the Spirit of God?
After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod,  Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” - Matthew 2:1-2
I have seen His star rise in my heart, and I will worship him - DEREK

No comments: