Thursday, December 29, 2011

Are we ready to grow up? (the 5th day of Christmas)


All wrapped up, because it's way chilly up yonder in CT
Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. - 1 Corinthians 3:1-2
BABY! I've been looking back some and, sure enough, I'm sure I haven't been overloading my readers with the "I've got a grandson!" thing. So I'm thinking we're overdue for at least a small reference.

David Henry is ten and a half weeks now and his parents are enjoying the opportunity to observe some serious growth. His face is shaping into a very recognizable little-boy; he's packing on a few pounds; he's developing a schedule that actually includes sleeping at night; he has opinions about everything; and, most importantly, there's this growing sense of awareness.

He's responding, interested in the world around him, making connections, beginning to get a little of the "big picture" idea, giving his parents smiles and chuckles along with the more standard "Open my mouth wide, yell, and cry my eyes out because I'm ______________ (hungry, wet, tired, bored, annoyed, etc...)."

"No, not the doctor's office...."
Here's a nice example (left). It was taken at the doctor's office this week, where he was scheduled for some more baby shots. No, not happy at all!

MATURITY: I can't help but watch David grow and think about our lives as immature spiritual beings. So many of us meet Jesus, attend church, even get involved in a small-group experience... and then remain stuck at the "Feed me; entertain me; meet my needs; show me something flashy or I'll go to some other church where they have more impressive programs..." stage.

But instead, what God has in mind for us is so much more! God wants us to begin to explore our spiritual environment, to respond to God's invitation to grow and mature, to make connections, and to develop this growing sense of God-saturated awareness.

SCRIPTURE: Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? - 1 Corinthians 3:1-3

Looking forward to what's next!
As I begin to imagine where I'd like 2012 to take me, one thing is for sure; I want to continue to grow. Maybe David Henry can give me some pointers along the way!
Peace, blessings and promise - DEREK

No comments: