Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Family? There's an App for that!


David Henry on SKYPE yesterday
When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. When you come looking for me, you'll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed. - Jeremiah 29:12-13

Finally we got in a little SKYPE action with our grandson, David Henry. Our Connecticut family have been having virus issues on their computer, but it seems that SKYPE has successfully installed now without any associated problems.

It's a good thing too. Especially when you factor in the huge amount of time between now and April, when we officially get our next shot of baby time.

Meanwhile, David Henry has been growing like a weed. Smiling; playing; laughing; interacting. In short, a whole lot of seriously cool baby stuff going down while hanging out with his loving parents, 1,300 long miles away.
We're close, we talk by phone several times a day, the Campbell family is always on our hearts and minds... but April is a long time coming.

"Hi, grandmamma, what's up?"
HONEST: But I have to be honest, other than attempt to lick the screen and beat on the keyboard, David was apparently completely unaware of the presence of  his grandparents, ogling at the laptop on the kitchen counter in Valrico.

I tried singing my best version of "You are my sunshine" but I didn't get anywhere. However, we are going to be diligent about consistent face time and we're confident that, at some point, David is going to begin to make the association between the two blobs on the computer screen and the hearts-aching-with-love they represent.

EFFORT: Because even family - no matter how far, or close, you live - still requires an effort. It's a matter of making the decision to make the connection work and then following through.

And - of course - that's true in any relationship.
  • So you want your marriage to be more alive? Be deliberate and do something about it!
  • You want to be closer to your kids? Turn off the television and design some creative family activities!
  • How about faith? Maybe you wish you had something going on with the Creator other than "Well, I guess I believe in God"? So attend church; join a small-group; get involved in mission....

"Hi, grandaddy Derek!"
Rebekah and I still date. I talk/email/Skype with Andrew and Naomi. I plan on a lot of communication with David Henry. Every new day begins in devotional time with God.
Bottom line; just do it.
When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. "When you come looking for me, you'll find me. "Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed." - Jeremiah 29:12-13
- DEREK

No comments: