Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter redux - living resurrection promise

Some of the good folk at the Presbyterian Church of Bloomingdale. Dinner and conversation around a book.
Yesterday my whole day was built around talking with people. Talking, and listening.
“So what’s the professional part, the working aspect of that?” you may ask.
“Well I’m not exactly sure,” I might reply. “But it turns out to be a huge part of my life nowadays.”
ACCOUNTING: Okay, so somewhere during the day I did write a short news article. I also made contact with a couple of folk in support of another feature I’m writing on new church development models in the United Methodist Church. But, so far as I know, I didn’t make any actual money.
Oh, it’s possible a book or two got purchased on Amazon, through Barnes and Noble, or at my publisher’s website; and there’s a chance someone somewhere read one of my articles and made a mental note to possibly tell another person at their church they should invite me to speak one day. These things do happen.
TWENTY-FOUR/SEVEN: But, to address the original, “Is Derek working?” question, it’s safe to say that pretty much everything that happens is formative in terms of my mission to communicate the truth about what it means to live the “Life-charged life.” Most especially when I’m talking with people, listening to their story.
That’s why, yesterday evening, it was such a privilege to be invited to sit in on a small-group of folk the evening they wrapped up their eight-week study ofREACHING TOWARD EASTER.  We shared a meal, we shared some good conversation, they asked me to comment a little on some of the content, and – most of all – I listened to good people sharing personal testimonies as to how God is working in their lives.
Every time I meet with people, talk with them and – most importantly – listen to the narrative of their spiritual journey, I’m fine-tuning my understanding of what it means to live this “Life-charged life” as a faithful follower of The Way of Jesus.
There’s really not a single moment of any day that fails to hold the potential to steer me down the path and enrich my journey.
It’s about being conscious. It’s about being tuned in. It’s about becoming increasingly aware of the stunning fact of my status as a child of God.
It’s a fact, yes. But it’s one I am increasingly learning to live into – DEREK
Day by day,
Dear Lord, of thee three things I pray:
To see thee more clearly,
Love thee more dearly,
Follow thee more nearly,
Day by Day. (Richard of Chichester; 1197-1253)

No comments: