Monday, April 2, 2012

kick it up a notch for Jesus

have to start by pointing out my mistake (read “poor scholarship”)  with the Thoreau  ”quote” in Friday’s blog… and also THE CHRISTIAN VOICE. I included what was, in effect, a hybrid quotation that combined Thoreau and Oliver Wendell Holmes. The misquote still works; I just have to get the attribution sorted out. Kudos to my friend Stormy for pointing this out. – DEREK
"If I sit real still, maybe they won't notice I'm in the driver's seat..."
“Dog in a Santa-Fe”… When I took this photograph it just seemed to be crying out for a “dog-blog” blog post to go with it…
I know today is Palm Sunday, and I’ll address that in the second part of this entry. But Scout Labradoodle escaped from the cargo area and slipped behind the wheel when I was pumping gas yesterday afternoon. The image is simply too good to pass up.
We were on our way home from church – one of Scout’s favorite places. I’d been rehearsing music and Scout had been helping Rebekah in the office. So it’s quite possible Scoutie was fully intending to drive back. She does so love going to church.
The "chancel choir" at rehearsal Saturday afternoon - being energetic in music
PALM SUNDAY: It really is too bad we can’t take Scoutie to worship. She’d be especially thrilled with Palm Sunday. And I know she’d be excited to see the children wave palm branches (like crazy) on the way in.
We have this boisterous air of celebration that pervades our church every week. But Palm Sunday most certainly kicks it up a notch. And there’s good reason to let loose a little; just listen to this scripture:
This new life is starting right now, and is whetting our appetites for the glorious day when our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, appears. He offered himself as a sacrifice to free us from a dark, rebellious life into this good, pure life, making us a people he can be proud of, energetic in goodness. (Titus 2:13-14; The Message)
I really love the “Energetic in goodness” concept. That’s exactly how we get to be “A people he can be proud of.”
It’s Palm Sunday, friends. Let loose a little. Give God some glory. Kick it up a notch. I know we will.

No comments: