Thursday, January 31, 2013

free speech and talk radio


Free speech is much more than a nice thing; it’s an amazing privilege. However, rather than being its champion, “Bubba the Love Sponge” is spoiling it for the rest of us.
IMG_3438Here in the Tampa area, yesterday saw the conclusion of the courtroom battle between Talk-Show host Todd Schnitt (aka “MJ in the Morning”) and Todd Clem (aka “Bubba the Love Sponge”).
Schnitt claimed that Clem’s repeated on-the-air personal attacks, insults, veiled threats, accusations, and insinuations amounted to defamation. Clem’s attorneys argued that their client’s behavior (which included more vitriol, on-the-air bullying, and offensive references directed at Schnitt’s family) is protected by his First Amendment rights.
The jury agreed with Clem.
“The First Amendment prevailed today,” Clem told reporters. “And you know, as unpopular as my speech is at times, it’s necessary.”
NECESSARY? ”Necessary” is the word that caught my attention. I’m not a fan of either radio personality, but I am a fan of free speech. However, Clem’s self-aggrandizing comments (you can read them all in various news outlets, but I don’t recommend it) immediately reminded me of a discussion I had with a group of 7th grade students when I was teaching in the public schools.
I’d been teaching a segment on government, and some of my students tried to leverage various items from the “Bill of Rights” to justify their obnoxious behavior. “I know my blankity-blank rights,” one of them said.
“Then I’m sure you understand that you also have the right to remain silent,” I said; “and I suggest that you use it.”
DECENCY: ”Necessary,” Mr. Clem? What’s “necessary” around here is a little more decency, a little less junior high-school mentality in grown men, and a huge dose of self-control.
51R5Ev5LdVL._SL500_AA300_Back in the early 70′s, actor David Carradine stared in the TV series, Kung Fu. The show chronicled the adventures of a Shaolin Monk as he wandered the American West armed only with his skill in Kung Fu.
Carradine’s character, Kwai Chang Caine, drew his power – and ultimately his respect, from applied restraint. Not fighting demonstrated power, courage, effectiveness and influence. However, if Caine made the decision to use his phenomenal fighting ability wantonly, in order to draw attention to himself, or for personal gain, then he – and what he believed in – was immediately compromised.
121512-bill-of-rights2ABUSE: That’s the problem with the misuse of free speech. Clem’s wanton promotion of indecency cheapens free speech; it pours scorn on the sacrifices made by so many to guarantee him the right to be obnoxious; it compromises the core principles of our permission-giving culture; it harms the very thing he says he values.
Clem’s abuse of free speech makes me think of the aphorism that often comes into play after something special gets lost or broken: “That why we can’t have nice things.”
Clem’s abuse of free speech makes me think of the aphorism, “That why we can’t have nice things.”
Free speech is much more than a nice thing; it’s an amazing privilege. However, rather than being its champion, “Bubba the Love Sponge” is spoiling it for the rest of us.
- DEREK

No comments: