Saturday, January 5, 2013

pressed down, shaken together, running over


Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
me and my buds
me and my buds
Today is the 12th day of Christmas. The song repeats the ongoing phrase, “my true-love gave to me,” over and over. Gifts, gifts, and more gifts.
Personally, I’m more interested in the giving than the receiving part of the equation. However, this Christmas season has been defined by gifts received, the blessings that have been, to use the phrase from scripture, ”A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over…”
Hence the featured photograph here, “A grandaddy and two of his good buddies.”
NOT ALL FUN & GAMES: It’s not always easy to host wall-to-wall people for an extended period of time. Routines get shot; people need more personal space; schedules don’t always overlap seamlessly; and sometimes family members forget the foundational idea I advanced in yesterday’s post, that of always putting the needs of others ahead of our own.
But still, today is the 12th day of Christmas, and I can say that my family, rough edges included, is a gift of immeasurable worth.
“ALL ABOARD:” By the time most of you read this, Andrew and Alicia will be on a  Lufthansa jet, winging their way back to Europe, she to the Ukraine and he to Northern Italy; Naomi and Craig will be steaming out of Tampa on a Carnival cruise ship; and David will be having fun with his grandaddy, right here at Maul Hall.
The crowds will be down, way down, but in many ways Rebekah and I will be busier than ever.
But this Christmas the blessings haven’t been all that much about peace and quiet.
In fact, the more I think about it the more I’m beginning to understand that giving and receiving are often almost the same thing, that receiving has more to do with – first – giving than anything else, and that if all you’re interested in is giving, then what you receive can’t even be contained, a good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over.
- DEREK

No comments: