Friday, February 22, 2013

meta-comentary: a post about posting



DSC_0018For the second time this week, I’m sharing some comments about writing. I guess this makes today’s blog entry a meta-post; an example of meta-commentary, of writing about writing or communicating about communication.
What I’m really interested in, beyond the writing part, is the larger idea of communication. That’s the primary reason I’ve started my Wednesday video-blog. Because my personal mission is not so much to be a great writer as it is to be an effective communicator.
MISSION: And so, in the “thinking out loud” modus operandi of this “Life-Charged Life” blog, now would be as good a time as any to attempt to articulate a personal mission statement. To be honest, I can’t believe I haven’t done this before. It could well become the heart of my next book.
Right off, I’m drawn to the mission statement of the Presbyterian church where Rebekah serves as senior pastor. I’ll quote it in passing, but it’s more specifically a corporate vision, and I’m looking to come up with something unique and personal.
To Share the Love of God by Serving within our church, community, and beyond, and to develop and empower passionate followers of Jesus Christ.(First Presbyterian Church of Brandon, Florida, mission statement)
Then there’s the sub-heading for this blog; “A journal of living-like-we-mean-it.” I really like the core idea, but “Live Like I Mean It” falls short in terms of enough information. I’m not discarding this as an option, but it needs to be more complete.
EVALUATION: I’m going to ask (and then answer) myself some questions that should help:
  1. Who am I? I am a child of God; I’m a citizen of the world; I’m a husband and a father.
  2. Where am I… what is my context? I’m the quintessential baby-boomer, living in the complex and constantly changing culture of the USA.
  3. What are my unique gifts? I know how to tell stories; I can put ideas into words in a way that helps other people to see clearly, and to understand themselves and their faith in new ways; I can translate faith, assurance, and emotion into words and phrases; I’m a thinker, I can analyze; I care deeply about people; I ask great questions, and then I listen; I can speak in public; I take photographs that tell stories (largely because I have learned to see so clearly).
  4. What is my purpose? I believe that the reason God has equipped me with these gifts and placed me here is to speak encouragement, inspiration, grace, and love into the lives of two sets of people: First, Followers of The Way of Jesus; Then, those who don’t yet believe because they’ve never really heard the truth about the Gospel of Love.
SUM IT ALL UP: That’s enough to go on. Now I should be able to sum it all up in one pithy phrase, or short paragraph.
MaulOKay, here goes; The Mission of Derek Maul is…:
To use my unique gifts to speak encouragement, inspiration, grace, mercy, and love into this culture; to communicate in such a way that the truth about the Gospel of Love is clearly understood; and to live so that my life and my relationships stand as a compelling living witness to “the life that is truly life” (1 Timothy 6:19).
- DEREK

No comments: