Monday, February 18, 2013

the writing life: tapping the rivers of living water


“Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, and let the one who believes in me drink.” – Jesus
DSC_0002Bell-Yesterday evening a friend asked me the following “writing process” question. “You post something new every morning; where does it all come from?”
It’s a good question. Especially when – and I’m not surprised this happened today – it appears that I’m sitting here in front of the computer with absolutely nothing to say.
My advice to my friend was to write anyway. “If you don’t have a story, then write the first paragraph. If you don’t have a paragraph then just put down a sentence or two. If you don’t have a coherent sentence, then at least write your thoughts. If you don’t have any thoughts that you can latch on to then just write, ‘I’m sitting here at my computer and I don’t have a clue, or a direction, or an idea….” Then see what happens.
And so, taking my own advice, I’m now beginning the fourth paragraph.
LIVING WATER: But now I remember something that did resonate with me, earlier today. It was my reading from the “Upper Room Magazine” daily devotional message. Here’s the scripture:
On the last day of the festival, the great day, while Jesus was standing there, he cried out, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, and let the one who believes in me drink. As the scripture has said, ‘Out of the believer’s heart shall flow rivers of living water.’” (John 7:37-38)
The passage turns out to be a huge tie-in with pretty much everything we covered in church yesterday:
  • My Sunday morning class talked about the book of Romans.
  • Pastor Tim preached about what it means to move forward into a mature relationship with God.
  • Then my Sunday evening group went through an outline of 2 Corinthians.
The Sunday evening study evolved into a conversation about how new life, or how being “a new creation” makes itself evident in the everyday.
It’s no surprise, then, that this morning’s passage spoke to me in the same way. If I want “rivers of living water” to flow out of my heart, then – first – it’s imperative that I go to Jesus and drink.
MUSE: It also happens to be a part of the explanation of my morning muse. “Where does it all come from?” It comes, first, from going to Jesus for a drink. God fills me, continually, and in consequence I have something that’s going to flow out. Something to share.
Out of the believer’s heart shall flow rivers of living water - DEREK

No comments: