Saturday, November 10, 2012

Flavorful Salmon Recipe


Getting my “foodie” on
t’s been a while, but today I’m sharing a new “foodie” post. Fact is, (and after so much seriousness and political conversation this week) a few nice, scrumptious paragraphs should go down well.
As a rule, I’m a decent cook. Rebekah and I always eat well, and we consistently prepare a balanced diet. Living almost three decades now with Type-1 Diabetes has ensured careful, healthful food selection.
Then, just a couple of years ago and in response to our new kitchen, I climbed on the gourmet bandwagon. Food at Maul Hall took on a whole new level of flavor. The experience opened up a hitherto unexplored landscape of what can be possible. For a few glorious weeks – before I settled down and learned a little moderation – Rebekah and I both put on a little weight!
Now (and using cookbooks such as “Cook Yourself Thin”) my kitchen prowess vacillates between really good and epic! Day to day food is better than BG (before gourmet), and I try – at least once a week – to produce something memorable.
Seared and Crusted  Salmon on Salad
FLAVOR PROFILE: I’ve learned to let the cookbook recipes keep me on track, but once in a while I improvise and it works. I use what I’ve learned and then respond to A) what’s in the refrigerator, and B) what’s in my imagination.
Friday night the stars must have been aligned because what I’m about to share with you was 100% “off the cuff.” And, rather than bomb (I do that sometimes!), my experiment turned out to be one of the best meals I’ve prepared in several weeks.
I’m calling it, “Seared-Crusted Salmon on Spinach/Romaine Salad.”
Ingredients:
  • For the fish: Two thick 8-ounce salmon filets; seasoned Italian bread-crumbs; grated parmesan cheese; buttermilk; olive oil, sesame oil; one egg, beaten; sea-salt.
  • For the salad: Fresh baby-spinach; Hearts of Romaine lettuce; 2-ounces feta cheese (fresh, crumble it yourself); 2-ounces crushed walnuts; 2-ounces garbanzo beans; half-cup grape-tomatoes; Caesar dressing.
Preparation:
  1. Combine and toss the salad, set aside.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 370-degrees.
  3. Lightly oil (olive oil) a cast-iron skillet, then heat to medium high.
  4. Place mixture of beaten egg and a splash of buttermilk on a small dish. Combine a half-cup of bread-crumbs and 1-ounce of parmesan on a second dish.
  5. Dredge salmon pieces in egg/buttermilk, then crumb mixture and place in skillet. Immediately back heat down by 10%. Sear, 3-4 minutes each side (pour about an ounce of sesame oil on salmon before turning).
  6. Place skillet in oven for 15-20 minutes on the convection setting.
  7. Place salad on dinner plates, add dressing to taste, then place the yummy salmon fillets directly on top of the salad.
  8. Serve with warm bread and either ice-tea or a wine of your choice.
RESULT: I have to tell you, the flavor profile of the seared, crusted salmon in combination with the salad was spectacular! My choice of wine was an Italian Chianti, although salmon generally tends to call for a white. We followed up with some fair trade coffee for dessert, and it all worked together to be one of the best dinners I’ve created in a long time.
And so, “Bon Appetit!” Enjoy my recipe, and then remember to apply the same sense of commitment to quality and flavor to every aspect of life this weekend.
In short, “Live Like You Mean It!” - DEREK

No comments: