Wednesday, November 28, 2012

trying for beautiful feet: SPIRIT-FM (90.5)



My radio spot aired yesterday
his morning I’m taking a break from the grandparent anecdotes to share a link to my SPIRIT-FM 90.5 interview that ran Tuesday morning from 11:34 through noon (to listen, click on this link).
I was nervous about the airing for a number of reasons. First, 26-minutes is a long time to be on the radio. Next, several thousand people were likely listening. Finally, the interview was 100% “off-the-cuff” (and – as you can see – my sleeves were partially rolled up!).
Fortunately, David Henry decided it was OK to play quietly in his playpen during my time-slot. So I did get to listen without interruption. But I paced obsessively. I had a hot cup of tea in one hand that I never touched, and I must have lapped the sofa in the family room a minimum fifty times.
CONTENT: The main body of the interview was about my new-ish book 10 Life-charged Words. I answered a series of questions about men’s spirituality, the content of the book, and the role of Christian men in contemporary culture.
Then, a couple of minutes from the end, I was given the opportunity to talk about my Advent book, In My Heart I Carry A Star: stories for Advent.
All in all, I am more than pleased. Most importantly, I didn’t bomb. Then, a good number of times, I actually said something quite interesting. Not too many hesitations, very little “blah, blah, blah,” only the occasional appearance of a “you know,” and not one “foot in mouth” moment.
SPIRIT-FM in TampaSo, I’d like to invite you to do two things:
  1. Give the interview a listen (I really believe you’ll enjoy).
  2. Write a comment – at the radio site – so the folk at SPIRIT-FM will know that people actually listened. Who knows, maybe one day they’ll ask me back.
Peace and blessings – DEREK
As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” (Romans 10:15)

No comments: