Thursday, November 1, 2012

C'mon people now, Smile on your brother..."


We have a growing collection of ceramic pumpkins (Nikon D3100)
ell, it’s been a very good 24 hours for photographs. Lots of interesting story-lines running simultaneously, and then the busiest Halloween evening my neighborhood has seen in probably a decade.
Grace and David Maul – Sarasota (Instagram)
One reason for the extra images is the fact that I “discovered” Instagram a couple of days ago (I’ll indicate which shots used that technique). Consequently I’m “shooting first and asking questions later” – even more than my usual paparazzi-esque tendencies. I’m still learning the ropes, but I’m pleased with the results so far.
This picture of my folks is my nod to “All Saints Day.” My mum and dad are two classic present day examples. The photo was taken on their back porch where we enjoyed tea, cookies and conversation yesterday afternoon.
Micah and Liam take out the trash! (Nikon D3100)
HALLOWEEN: The busy evening of trick-or-treating may well have been due to the amazingly beautiful combination of clear skies and temperatures in the high 60′s. Kids literally swarmed the neighborhood.
Our first visitors were Micah and Liam Black, who were dressed as “Garbage-Guys.” They were well equipped with good-sized collection cans, but they weren’t the least bit interested in our trash.
Then, right after it got dark, the floodgates opened up.
FUNNY STORY: This year we handed out Skittles and bubble-gum. At the store the cashier said, “Ooo, Skittles, my favorite.” ”We hate them,” I retorted. ”So why do you buy them?” she asked. ”So we won’t eat them,” I explained. “Imagine what would happen if we had a boatload of Snickers, or Almond Joys in the house? It wouldn’t be pretty.”
Rebekah and various Ogdens (Nikon D3100)
None of the kids seemed to mind. One of our favorite groups included Bill and Pat Ogden’s grandkids. Check out the life-sized Barbie in a box! Nice work, Ogden clan!
I’ve got to tell you, I may not be a fan of Halloween, and I’m especially disturbed by the cult of “violence-as-entertainment” that goes on in the movies and at theme-park events such as “Howl-O-Scream,” but I really did enjoy the feeling of community that pervaded our neighborhood yesterday evening.
Gourd “Pumpkin” from New Hampshire (Instagram)
COMMUNITY! Last night I sensed that, in an era dominated by political polarization, factionalism, mutual condemnation, and religious “I’m right and you’re wrong-ism,” the people on the street simply want to celebrate the experience of positive community.
Wake up, America! Let’s remember that we’re all in this together. It not only takes a village to raise a child, but it takes people (C’mon people now, Smile on your brother…) to heal a nation.
- DEREK
It was a tough evening for Scout, who was not allowed to answer every door-bell ring with her impersonation of “The Hound of the Baskervilles” (Instagram)
C’mon people now,
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try and love one another right now (Youngbloods, 1969)

No comments: