Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New Every Morning!


The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."

I have to be honest here, I'm getting a lot of my morning Bible selections from the Upper Room Daily Devotional Guide. It makes sense, as it is the magazine that gave me my first credit as a published author and - consequently - the confidence to push on and continue trying to break in to a difficult freelance market.

The Upper Room isn't my only source for Bible and meditations. But, often as not, it's the morning selection that opens the door for me, that gets the ball rolling and points me in the right direction.

That's why - for me - my devotional exercise isn't complete until I encounter God's word for myself. That's where this daily posting comes in. Writing forces me to invite God into my own experience, rather than limiting the discipline to reading about someone else's faith. Don't misunderstand, reading about other people's journey is an inspiration and an encouragement - but at some point in the day I simply have to stop, meditate, read, pray, and invite the Holy Spirit to be my personal guide.

It's a journey that we're all more than capable of taking, one small step at a time.
- DEREK

No comments: