Monday, July 30, 2012

"Life-O-Meter" (BTW - yours should be humming)


Rebekah doing “The Children’s Moment” at the 8:30 Praise Service yesterday morning.
Today’s “lead” photo may be lacking in mega-pixels and focus, but it’s exactly right for my Monday post because it’s all about vibrant life; and that’s a story that never gets old.

I’ve been traveling a lot recently, and I mentioned last week how nourishing it is to get back to my faith community. Well, yesterday was no exception, especially when I watch Rebekah and Tim interact with the children. There’s nothing “lofty” or “rarefied” or “distant” about the pastoral staff at our church.
  • Some preachers confuse “dignified” with “stuffy,” “pompous,” and “inaccessible.” Not so around First Brandon.
OLYMPICS: The “Children’s Moment” in the photograph focused on the Olympic Games, and Rebekah had the children repeat the following words from Second Timothy: “I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith. Now there is a crown waiting for me. It is given to those who are right with God.”

Fun with VBS!
It’s been a big week with the children around fpcBrandon. 120 kids attended Vacation Bible School, and 60 volunteers made sure they had a wonderful learning experience. An astounding 21 of those volunteers were members of our youth group.

It was one of those times where the “buzz” I talk about at our church grew into a discernible rumble. The amplitude of vibrant life ramps up a notch or two during VBS. But then there always seems to be this residual holdover. If the Life-O-Meter registers at “5″ before VBS, and goes up to an “8″ due to 120 kids going nuts about Jesus, then it probably only falls back to a “6″ when it’s all done.

Don’t try to follow my math! It’s all illustrative prose, but the principle is sound. You see, I believe that community life is cumulative. It’s been building around here – in my experience, close to 16 years. Life stacks up on life and it doesn’t let go.

closing program for VBS
“NO-BRAINER!” What amazes me is how surprised so many people are when they encounter life. Our church – First Presbyterian of Brandon, FL– should not be the exception; it should be the norm! There is no reason for any faith community to do anything other than to literally pulsate with the life-charged energy that comes from the living presence of Jesus.
  • I like that. So I’ll repeat it. There is no reason for any faith community to do anything other than to literally pulsate with the life-charged energy that comes from the living presence of Jesus.
The children certainly help. But kids are as much of a symptom as they are a cause.
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me–the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace. (Acts 20:24)

No comments: