Monday, July 9, 2012

worship, photographs and benediction - a feast for the soul!



Such a beautiful setting for a conference
“This is the day the Lord has made. Rejoice and be glad!” (Psalm 118:24))

SOULFEAST: There is much that I could pack into today’s post. Good friends, authentic worship, the beauty of creation. Fact is, this life-charged life leaves me breathless sometimes.

I’ve anchored this morning’s post with this bed of flowers at Lake Junaluska Assembly. I’m here as a part of the leadership team for The Upper Room’s 4-day SoulFeast Conference. I’ll be teaching one three-day class and two “one-off” afternoon enrichment workshops.

This is also the debut event for my latest book. I haven’t even seen the finished product yet, so I’m anxious to get to the bookstore this morning to get my hands on a copy!

First Presbyterian of Asheville, with Sandee
WORSHIP: This morning, Sandee and I attended First Presbyterian of Asheville.  The church meets in a beautiful stone sanctuary, and the style of worship is very traditional. The people were friendly, the message was very helpful, and – for the second week in succession – I was pleased to be visiting a congregation where there is evidence of spiritual life. This gives me hope.

Evening worship at Soulfeast was entirely different. We sang hymns accompanied by a dynamic jazz combo who added a gospel/soul/rock-and-roll edge to the hymns. Then I shared communion with people from all over the United States.

Finally, coming out into the last light of the evening, the lake offered a benediction of profound beauty before I headed to my room.

Last light over Lake Junaluska
Last light; God’s punctuation mark on a good day. There’s nothing else to do here but to worship, teach, study, pray, build relationships, and nurture a contemplative frame of spirit.

Check back in with this blog every day, as I’ll be sharing from the creative ways God will be touching me and challenging me.

Peace and blessings – always – DEREK

No comments: