Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Life Worth Living!


Hot off the press!
I was invited to Lake Junaluska Assembly this week specifically to teach about “The Life-Charged Life” – the idea we’ve been exploring via this blog.

This blog (which I’ve said all along is a venue designed to help develop life-charged ideas and conversations) has provided a wealth of great material to use in my presentations.

Then – and immensely exciting to me – the book version of the concept finally made it into print, and I got an actual copy in my hands just a few minutes before my first class Monday morning!

10 Life-charged Words may be book number five, but I’ve got to tell you that the thrill of physically holding my first copy hasn’t diminished one bit over the years! The list is now:
  • “GET REAL: a spiritual journey for men” (2007)
  • “In My Heart I Carry A Star: stories for Advent” (2008)
  • “The Unmaking of a Part-Time Christian” (2009)
  • “Reaching Toward Easter: devotions for Lent” (2011)
  • “10 Life-Charged Words: real faith for men” (2012)
the chapel by the lake
GOOD PEOPLE: The people in my classes are motivated, attentive, and interactive. They’re good listeners and they ask good questions.

There seems to be a genuine fascination with the concept of “The Life Charged Life,” and the “10 Life-Charged Words.” I opened the class to both men and women, because the foundational principles are true across the board.

Essentially, the book looks at the following question: “What areas of our spiritual lives do we need to strengthen if we want to  move from the mundane, vaguely disinterested Christianity practiced by so many church-goers, and into a vibrant life-charged experience of transformational faith?”

10 LIFE-CHARGED WORDS: The following ten key words kept working their way to the top of my list: Jesus; Excellence; Passion; Capacity; Scripture; Holiness; Clarity; Prayer & Transformation; Authenticity; Community.

Surrounded by the beauty of creation
Prayer & Transformation are bundled together because prayer is an agent of transformation. Or, as Rebekah says, “If you don’t want to change, then don’t pray.”

I am over-the-top excited about this new book! I hope you will be too. Please read it, share these life-charged words with your friends, pass this post around, or simply recommend the read.

Regardless, let’s make the commitment to embrace the  kind of life-charged life that must begin with Jesus. It’s why he came. Literally everything was at stake when God launched this plan. How can we possibly be anything other than all in?

Promise and blessings – DEREK

No comments: