Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Strong Resolve and Deliberate Practice

Hmmm. Now I need to slip into a "post-vacation" mindset. The emphasis is necessarily shifting from raw discovery - "OMG I can't believe how awesome The Flume (waterfall) is!" - to the mostly less glamorous lessons of everyday life - "You want HOW MUCH to fix the AC on Rebekah's Santa Fe?"

But there are lessons nonetheless. Every day. Road-tripping or negotiating the routine of life in and around our home and work.

That's the beauty of being equipped with ears that hear and eyes that see. Or at least ears and eyes that are willing to hear and to see. Oh sure, I'll be throwing in the occasional eye-catching photograph from our trek up to New England and back - the pictures are simply too good to pass up - but the Brandon area is where, for me, real life happens, and I'm happy to be home.

Devotional Routine: One daily practice that helps keep a degree of continuity in my experience, regardless of vacation, work, travel or staying at home, is my morning devotion. Just a few minutes, deliberate, in the presence of God. It sets the table. Typically, I use the Upper Room Daily guide (it shows up on my BlackBerry, just before I walk the dog).

Today's scripture was Hebrews 4:16: Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

I am confident. It's a confidence that comes via experience. The best way to strengthen faith is to practice it. Simple enough. But so many of us wait for our faith to be strong before being willing to practice. Strong faith, however, is most often the result of strong resolve - and deliberate practice.

Try it for yourself. Every day.
- DEREK

No comments: